We build technology to empower public-sector purchasers and suppliers by improving the efficiency of the government procurement process. Procurated allows public-sector purchasers to review the suppliers they work with, helping other procurement professionals make informed decisions as they select their next supplier. We also work with government suppliers, helping them understand the needs of the public sector and improve their performance. In serving two sides of the marketplace, we simplify and streamline the procurement process.
What is the role?
We are looking for a remote, US-based Ruby on Rails developer to help us as we continue to expand our platform and build a tool to help procurement officials across the country.
- You have a solid foundation in Ruby and Ruby on Rails, or you're experienced in a similar stack and ready to learn Ruby and Rails. We're looking for somone with some professional experience, but we're not worried about having a certain number of years. You should be confident in the basics of Ruby on Rails and web development. We’re happy to introduce you to the other technologies we use.
- You know how to build a feature from start to finish. You can identify a need, propose a solution, break the feature into reasonably sized tasks, build that feature, test it, and deploy it – or step in to assist other engineers and the product team at various points in the process.
- You pace yourself and can manage your workload. You take on complex tasks, knowing you can raise a flag if you run into trouble and you won’t be pressured to cut corners or meet arbitrary deadlines. You ask for time or help if your plate is too full, and pay the backlog a visit when the board is empty.
- You support your teammates. There is no such thing as a stupid question and time spent helping someone else is never a waste. You are happy to answer questions and lend a hand to the team, knowing that when you are the one asking for help we will always step up and do the same for you.
- You have solid communication skills. As a distributed team, we need to understand one another. Whether in code review or interactions with team members in-person, on Zoom, or in Slack and email, you communicate clearly and with empathy – both with your fellow engineers and with non-technical colleagues and customers.
- You live somewhere in the continental United States. For the moment, we can only hire candidates based in the continental United States.
What would I do at Procurated?
As a Procurated Engineer, you might:
- Collaborate with your team & review code on Github – we practice 100% code review and everyone pitches in.
- Deploy the latest code in review apps as well as to staging and production on Heroku.
- Work with Product to break large projects down into useful sections and determine the best ways to parallelize development.
- Estimate task size for upcoming projects with some good old-fashioned planning poker.
- Work with other Procurated team members to define new functionality for the Procurated platform and determine how best to implement it.
- Scratch an itch digging into a new tool, spiking a refactor, or adding that feature you think is missing from the platform during our monthly hack day.
- Support the larger Procurated team by monitoring our internal #heyengineering slack support channel, either fixing problems immediately or triaging them for other engineers to tackle.
- Close out the day with our biweekly board game night or company-wide Fridays at Four, lots of opportunities to get to know the team outside of typical work interactions.
Procurated Engineering is a distributed and flexible team. We are based in Washington, DC and have remote employees working across the US.
- We move fast: We practice continuous deployment and iteration. New features ship as soon as they’ve been reviewed by Product and Engineering.
- We keep things level: While some of our engineers may have ‘Senior’ in their job title, we all learn from each other, and no one is more or less important to the team. Everyone gets to lead development on major features, and everyone pitches in on smaller day-to-day tasks.
- We share features and code ownership: Code review and testing is baked into our DNA – we review all deployed code, and every engineer reviews code for their teammates.
- We are constantly evolving and learning: We keep our process flexible and iterative, just like our code. If something in our current setup isn’t working, we adjust our process to fix it – and we are all empowered to do so.
- We value diversity: We have a diverse set of skills, backgrounds, and interests, and we celebrate and value each other’s work and growth both within and outside the company
- We all have a seat at the table: We all get a say in how we work and are continually refining our process from sprint to sprint during our bi-weekly retrospectives.
Why Choose Procurated?
- Unlimited vacation: You know what you need, and when you need a break. No need to count vacation days or bank hours for future leave.
- Company-wide Mental Health Days: In months where there is not a Federal holiday already on the calendar we schedule a company-wide mental health day to give everyone a chance to reset and recharge.
- Family-Friendly: Flexible schedules, paid parental leave, and more.
- Remote-friendly culture: As a member of the Procurated team, you have the flexibility to work where you want, when you want, with the tools and resources necessary for success. (Read more about our commitment to a remote work environment here)
- Focus on learning & growth: Every team member has an individual development plan and support in moving it forward.
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits: Includes equity through our employee stock option plan, retirement account matching, and Procurated pays 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums on applicable programs.
What is the hiring process?
Our hiring team reviews all applications, and engineering is involved from the start. We generally conduct our conversations via Zoom but can adjust the process as necessary to accommodate candidates’ needs.
- Initial Screen: You’ll have a relaxed initial conversation with a member of the hiring team and tell us a bit about yourself, as well as learning more about Procurated and the particulars of the role.
- 1 on 1 Engineering Interview: You’ll chat one-on-one with a member of our Engineering team. We’ll go through your resume and background. We might ask a few technical questions, but nothing particularly challenging. No whiteboarding or algorithms here!
- Technical Interview: You’ll meet the rest of the Engineering team for a longer tech-focused interview. We’ll discuss some technical topics, and how you’ve handled the inevitable challenges of a career in software. During the interview, we’ll give you an architecture and coding challenge so we can see how you approach an interesting React or Rails feature. The challenge is open-book – feel free to Google and ask questions of us, just as you would if we were already your teammates.
Not sure if you meet our requirements? Please apply! We know that everyone’s engineering journey takes its own path and no job description can fully capture the value that a diversity of experience brings. We highly encourage interested candidates to apply, even if they don’t meet all the criteria listed here.
Procurated is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Interested candidates, please email Jess at email@example.com.
Published on Oct 13, 2021