Director of Engineering
Buyers working for state and local governments and in public education spend $1.5T every year. These buyers procure the goods and services that support communities across the country but often, they are forced to do so with little to no information about the past performance of the suppliers they buy from.
Why is it easier to find information about a restaurant on Yelp, or a hotel on TripAdvisor, than it is to find information about a supplier you’re considering for a multi-million-dollar government contract?
At Procurated, we think there is a better way. Our rating and review platform empowers the public procurement community by helping them find the information they need from the people they trust.
We launched our application in beta in June of 2019. Since then, we have collected over 30,000 reviews of 9,000 suppliers from 7,500 government buyers and have 7 partner states. We recently raised Series A venture capital to accelerate growth. This means we’ll be scaling up key functions across the organization to drive further platform adoption, user engagement, and revenue.
What is the role?
The Director of Engineering will report to the head of Product and serve as the technical leader for the organization. This role will manage our current team of four full-stack Rails engineers and grow this team in 2022. In general, you can think about the role as:
- 30% individual contributor (writing code and working hands-on with the engineers)
- 30% engineering leadership (inspiring and motivating the team, engineering vision and strategy, architecture, partnering with business leadership)
- 40% people management (staffing the team, setting objectives, making decisions, resolving escalations, career guidance, coaching, and organizational design)
Ideal candidates will be lifelong learners who share our passion for using technology to transform public procurement, and have the following skills:
Technical Skills. You must have full-stack experience building and scaling web applications in a fast-paced environment.
- The Procurated platform is a monolithic Rails app that leverages Ruby/Rails, React, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Sidekiq, Redis, Sass, RSpec, and more. While you don't necessarily need experience with these specific technologies, you do need to have enough comparable programming experience to work hands-on with our engineering team in this kind of tech stack.
- In addition, you must demonstrate an ability to understand our current architecture and develop a point of view about how it should evolve over time. This should be done by working hand in hand with the current team to learn what’s working well, where we’re limited, and what’s necessary to prepare for the future.
Leadership Skills. Your experience should allow you to anticipate technical challenges before they arise.
- Technical challenges may involve scalability, security, or code quality and require leadership in advocating for architectural improvements, refactoring, or integrating third party tools.
- You must be able to demonstrate strong communication skills including the ability to translate a technical imperative into terms non-technical leadership will understand and the ability to make a compelling case in a “build or buy” decision.
- You enjoy working with product, design, and stakeholders from across the company. You can share examples of things you’ve accomplished in your career thanks to your ability to collaborate effectively.
Management Skills. You have a proven track-record as a force-multiplier and your teammates would speak highly of your abilities as a “player/coach”.
- You have a track record of great hiring including a demonstrated commitment to hiring and supporting engineers from under-represented groups in tech.
- You show a passion for helping other engineers grow and develop new skills.
Procurated Engineering is a distributed and flexible team. We are based in Washington, DC and have remote employees working across the US.
- We move fast: We practice continuous deployment and iteration. New features ship as soon as they’ve been reviewed and are declared ready by Product and Engineering.
- We keep things level: While some of our engineers may have ‘Senior’ in their job title, we all learn from each other, and no one is more or less important to the team. Everyone gets to lead development on major features, and everyone pitches in on smaller day-to-day tasks.
- We share features and code ownership: Code review and testing is baked into our DNA – we review all deployed code, and every engineer reviews code for their teammates.
- We are constantly evolving and learning: We keep our process flexible and iterative, just like our code. If something in our current setup isn’t working, we adjust our process to fix it – and we are all empowered to do so.
- We value diversity: We have a diverse set of skills, backgrounds, and interests, and we celebrate and value each other’s work and growth both within and outside the company
- We all have a seat at the table: We all get a say in how we work and are continually refining our process from sprint to sprint during our bi-weekly retrospectives.
Why Choose Procurated?
- Unlimited vacation: You know what you need, and when you need a break. No need to count vacation days or bank hours for future leave.
- Company-wide Mental Health Days: In months where there is not a Federal holiday already on the calendar we schedule a company-wide mental health day to give everyone a chance to reset and recharge.
- Family-Friendly: Flexible schedules, paid maternity and paternity leave, and more.
- Remote-friendly Culture: As a member of the Procurated team, you have the flexibility to work where you want, when you want, with the tools and resources necessary for success. (Read more about our commitment to a remote work environment here)
- Focus on learning & growth: Every team member has an individual development plan and support in moving it forward.
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits: Includes equity through our employee stock option plan, dollar-for-dollar matching of contributions to your retirement account up to 3% of total compensation, and Procurated pays 100% of your health care premiums on applicable programs through our company health care plan, along with vision and dental insurance.
What is the hiring process?
Our hiring team reviews all applications, and engineering is involved from the start. We generally conduct our conversations via Zoom but can adjust the process as necessary to accommodate candidates’ needs.
- Initial Screen: You’ll have a relaxed initial conversation with a member of the hiring team and tell us a bit about yourself, as well as learning more about Procurated and the particulars of the role.
- Hiring Manager Interview: You’ll discuss the details of the role with the head of Product who will ask questions to assess fit with our team culture.
- Technical Interview: You’ll meet the full Engineering team for a longer tech-focused interview. We’ll go through your resume and background. We’ll discuss some technical topics, and how you’ve handled the inevitable challenges of a career in software. During the interview, we’ll give you an architecture and coding challenge so we can see how you approach an interesting feature.
- Final Interview: The final interview will give you the opportunity to meet a small group of leaders from across the company. This group will focus their questions on your management experience and leadership abilities. You can expect some questions about our company values and we’ll share more about how we live those values every day.
Not sure if you meet our requirements? Please apply! We know that everyone’s engineering journey takes its own path and no job description can fully capture the value that a diversity of experience brings. We highly encourage interested candidates to apply, even if they don’t meet every criteria listed here.
Procurated is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Interested candidates, please email Becca at email@example.com.
Published on Nov 30, 2021